Friday, January 19, 2007

recipe: plain cheap muffins

1/4 cup oil
1 medium egg
1 cup milk
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder (3 teaspoons)
2 cups flour

In a large bowl combine the oil, egg, milk, sugar and salt. Mix it very well with a fork or wire whisk. Measure in the baking powder and flour. Mix again until all of the dough particles are moistened. Do not over mix. The whole thing should take about 20 to 30 strokes. Spoon the batter into a dozen well oiled muffin cups. Bake at 400° for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before removing from the pan.

I made these last night to go with some garlic broccoli chicken I had also made. I think that particular recipe needs some tweaking before I share it, but these muffins were fabulous. I used 1/2 a cup of sugar and they were slightly sweet and had a good flavor and texture. They will be delicious heated up in the morning with some butter and strawberry jam. They're super easy and quick to make, and also very cheap.

I got this recipe from an awesome website called Hillbilly Housewife. She has a bunch of variations on this recipe, and I am looking forward to trying them. Enjoy!

No comments: