Sunday, January 14, 2007

my apartment smells like chicken

My lovely friend Splenda just posted a bunch of recipes on her blog. I read them as I boiled chicken. I have all of these terrific recipes that call for chicken and I found a web site with a bunch of tips on cooking well on a budget. One of the biggest tips is buying certain cuts of meat. I've pretty much only purchased boneless skinless chicken breast or strips. You can get roughly twice as much chicken for half the price if you get bone in chicken or leg quarters or whole chickens. When I made chicken and dumplings earlier this week, I bought a whole chicken that was cut up because I am simply not ready to attempt carving a whole chicken even if it is a cheap way to have meat in my apartment.

Well, I bought the wrong kind of cheaper chicken. I bought split chicken. I don't mind the bones or skin or pulling it apart to cook it and all of that. But I don't know where to cut what apart! And I don't really have knives sharp enough to do that anyway. Last night K made chicken fettucini and he just kind of cut as much meat as he could off of what I had purchased and cooked that up. It was delicious, but I do believe he prefers the boneless skinless chicken breast.

I don't know what I'm going to do with about five pounds of boiled chicken, but at least I can pull the meat off a lot easier this way. So it's not entirely a waste. I am still looking foward to those recipes. Now that I know I'm going to be working at Starbucks again and I have 25.5 hours for my very first week, maybe it would just be better if I paid more money and got the prepped chicken.

No comments: