Thursday, March 1, 2007

so what have you been thinking about lately?

I remember the first time K asked me this, I answered with something trivial, and he was really asking me about what I was really thinking about. The way in which girls stereotypically ask. I was pleasantly surprised to realize that when I don't share enough of what is running through my head, what I'm contemplating and working through, he will ask me to tell him what I've been thinking about. Throughout our relationship, I have been amazed by how genuinely interested he is in me. That probably sounds kind of dumb, but the thing is that with all the guys I've dated or been close friends with, not many of them have made me feel like they are intently paying attention to me, what I'm doing, and who I am. I realize that is narcissistic. At the same time though, I pay fairly close attention to my friends. Through the years I have come to expect that those around me will not know my middle name or favorite color or favorite play list at work even though I will often know that kind of information about them. One of the ways K stands out in my life is he knows these kinds of things about me.

If I idly tell him about an idea I have for a project, he'll ask me questions and then later on will ask me where I'm at on making it happen. We often just get one soda to share at the movies and the other day he just handed it to me before I had a chance to ask for it. He can tell when something is bothering me, sometimes before I've even figured out exactly what it is. He's one of a handful of people who hasn't tried to figure me out, but has just let me be me. Sure, sometimes I annoy him or frustrate him, but that happens with everyone.

So, what have I been thinking about lately? I'm one of the luckiest and happiest people I know. I accidently met a man who changed my life for the better when I was least expecting it. When he looks at me, I feel beautiful. I've never known love like this before. I hope everyone gets to have at least one person they can just completely be themselves around and feel appreciated and loved for it because it is fabulous.

1 comment:

tina said...

aww. I'm so happy that you're this happy.