Monday, February 26, 2007

movie review monday: wimbledon

Wimbledon

Full Synopsis:
Directed by Richard Loncraine, Wimbledon follows the plight of aspiring tennis-star Peter Colt (Paul Bettany), whose bad luck seems to manifest itself just about everywhere. Professionally, Peter is near the very bottom of the world tennis ranks, and personally, he can't find love despite his best efforts to do so. In a rare turn of events, however, Peter is chosen as a wildcard to play at Wimbledon, the tennis world's most prestigious competition. While there, he meets American tennis ingénue Lizzie Bradbury (Kirsten Dunst), and his confidence on the court and off improves tenfold as he falls further in love with her. Driven by his newfound luck, Peter climbs to the top of the tournament players at record speed, until he actually has a fighting chance of winning the men's singles title -- the question is whether or not his good fortune will hold out long enough for him to get the trophy. ~ Tracie Cooper, All Movie Guide


This was just a random movie I was vaguely interested in seeing awhile back. I rented it because whenever I take the Blockbuster Online envelopes into the store, it feels like I'm getting free movies. Also, I was by myself and was going to watch it by myself. I am really lucky that I have a boyfriend who doesn't mind watching super sappy movies with me, but I only kind of like them myself anyway, so I try to keep them to a minimum when we're going to watch something together. It's fairly ridiculous, I know, because I have no problem watching Kung Fu movies or whatnot (but only one per sitting, no action or Kung Fu movie marathons for me).

Anyway though, it was a really well done sportsy chick flick-ish kind of movie. There were some very cool film techniques and the story line was good. It does get a little sappy, but all in all, not a bad way to spend part of your evening. I'm not that into tennis, but it seems like a pretty cool sport actually. I've always liked that it's such a mental sport too. It's definitely hardcore physical, but one of the things the movie did was express what Peter was thinking as he was about to serve. It was cool because although I understand what it is to have a gazillion thoughts running through my head at once, I haven't ever seen it well portrayed in a movie. Until now, that is. Heh.

And for the record, K would have liked it. He wouldn't have bought it later to keep in his collection, but that's cool because neither will I.

Rating: 2 of 4 stars.

No comments: