Friday, June 15, 2007

GO SPURS GO!

I paid attention to the Spurs this year but didn't really watch any games until the playoffs. I think that's being a quasi-fairweather fan or something. Next year I'm going to watch more games and hopefully go to one or two because the more I watch basketball, the more I like it. It's a sport I understand, it's fast paced, it's easy to follow, and there are some amazingly talented people out there.

Last night, K had to work until 9 pm. The game started at 8 pm. I was going to take a nap while he was at work but I ultimately decided I couldn't not watch the game because it was probably going to be the last one of the series. Also, I was hoping the Spurs would play better than they did earlier this week.

I picked him up and we watched the game and worked on some stuff he needed to get done to email off and it was a great time. I was exhausted but highly amused by both the game and my boyfriend trash talking the tv. I was excited that the Spurs won, even with the great three point shot that the Cavs made as the buzzer sounded. But I stood up immediately and asked if we could go.

I haven't lived in San Antonio all that long yet, and I haven't been here when the Spurs have won the playoffs before. But I knew that people would be out on the streets. Yesterday on the radio, they had mentioned that at the Riverwalk, they had put up small fences so the vegetation wouldn't be trampled when the crowds descended to celebrate. It was pouring down rain after a flash flood warning came up earlier in the evening and I didn't want to get caught navigating through torrential rain AND random people dancing in the street.

It ended up being perfect. The rain slowed down and people weren't really outside yet as I was going to K's house. On the way back, I passed by some people outside on the corner literally banging pots and pans. Cars were honking and people were hanging out the windows with Spurs flags and brooms. I drove past a kid who was outside waving a giant Spurs flag with all of his might so I honked and he started jumping up and down and waving the flag even harder.

As I was driving home, I was amazed by the number of cars. It was really fun because it made me feel like I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and we were all celebrating the accomplishments of our good friends.

Go Spurs Go!

No comments: