Friday, May 4, 2007

what?!

About three weeks ago, I sat down with my manager at Starbucks and told her that I needed to give notice. It was a really good conversation and it was about 10 or 15 minutes. I explained it wasn't the store as much as it was just difficult to have two jobs. I'm a little ahead of myself now with money and I've been able to put some money into a savings account as well, so I'm alright there. And mostly I just need some more sleep. I told her that there were a few things that had happened that weren't awful, but just would have been easier to handle if I had a little more sleep under my belt. I explained that I didn't want to leave the store in a bind and I wanted to be rehirable. She said she completely understood, asked if there was anything the store could do to help me out, and said that if life calmed down for me she would rehire me in a heartbeat. May 20th is my last day and she's already found someone to take over the overnights I was working so next week and the following week, I have a bunch of baby shifts on the weeknights. I am so excited about all of this. I will miss Starbucks once it's not so prominently in my life again, but I am deleriously happy with the thought of sleeping properly and having weekends off. And hopefully will be filling in some of my gobs of time with school soon.

Yesterday, I went into my store and I noticed a partner who I have seen on numerous social occassions was covering a shift. I haven't seen her in a long time though and so we started chatting.

"Hey lady, I haven't seen you in forever! How are you?"
"Oh my gosh Melissa, I'm so excited to see you! Everytime I come by, I ask if you're working, but you're never here!"
"Yeah, I just work baby shifts, so that's probably why I've missed you."

Enter my store manager:
"Yeah, and we only have her for a few more weeks before she's moving on to the wedding thing!"

Enter my confused expression. Heh.

It is true that K and I have discussed marriage, but we have decided that we don't want to rush things or push things too quickly. We're really happy but there are a lot of things that haven't necessarily come up and there is a lot of change in K's life especially right now that we need the dust to settle on and see where we are at the end of it. My mom told me that every time he and I show up, she half expects one of us to say "Hey guess what! We got married!" We're in a good spot and I'm crazy in love with him, but we aren't completely there yet. It's cool, I've got time.

My store manager does know that I'm dating K, but I've never actually talked to her about him or anything. I have absolutely no idea where her information came from, but I think it's hilarious.

And actually, K does too. That's how I know we're in a good spot. I can tell him stuff like that and he doesn't freak out that people are talking about us getting married, he thinks it's funny like I do that someone has fast forwarded us with little to no reason to do so.

No comments: