Tuesday, April 24, 2007

of utterly no consequence

Something that I love to do with K is swap stories of stuff we did when we were kids or just things from when we were growing up. We have a gazillion similar interests and whatnot, but then there are a lot of things that we've just always done a certain way because that's how it was when we were kids.

This weekend, we got to finally spend some quality time together on Sunday. The window was 12 pm to 3:45 pm. Both of us had late nights and we decided to have breakfast together. At first, it was going to be this elaborate spread of glorious breakfast food but then we realized we'd have to make it all and then clean it all, so we just decided to go for eggs and waffles. Eggo waffles, to be exaxt.

I scrambled up the eggs and then got the appropriate condiments out for the waffles. Butter, powdered sugar, syrup, and peanut butter. Never in my life have I used all of these at the same time, but I'm a big fan of having condiment options. I prefer to have both ketchup and ranch for my french fries if at all possible so I can alternate if I feel so inclined.

Sunday I was thinking about how when I was a little kid, sometimes I'd eat breakfast with my dad before he'd go to work. He'd make us waffles with peanut butter and syrup with milk to drink. I would eat the whole waffle without licking all the peanut butter off of my fork so I had (what seemed like) a giant ball of peanut butter to eat at the very end.

K pretty much had only ever had butter and syrup on his waffles. He gamely tried butter and powdered sugar and found it to be the delight I insisted it would be. And he tried a bite of my waffle with peanut butter and syrup. He liked that too.

When I was telling him that you can eat peanut butter on your pancakes too, I realized, maybe my dad just REALLY LOVES peanut butter.

1 comment:

tina said...

mmm... I LOVE peanut butter on pancakes!!! I LOVE peanut butter on waffles (ego, to be exact), but I've never tried peanut butter AND syrup on waffles. I'm gonna have to implement that one... this weekend, perhaps.