Thursday, September 20, 2012

the one where i talk about what i think about while folding laundry

I have been a stay at home mom for two and a half years and I suck at it. I think I'm doing okay with the mom part--S seems smart and well-adjusted and behaves fairly well (most of the time, but he is two). I am just really bad at the housekeeping part. It's ridiculous. I'm embarrassed to have anyone over because my house is kind of shabby to start with and then it's just cluttered with stuff that hasn't been put away for whatever reason. And my husband follows my lead. So if I keep the living room kept relatively clean, he will as well. But if I have a day that by the time I FINALLY get S to bed and I just can't do anything else besides get in bed myself and I've therefore left some clutter in the living room, he will just add to it. That's probably a whole different blog post in itself. Heh.

So, the laundry. I'm pretty good at getting things washed and dried. But then they just stay in piles in the garage for me to go through and collect outfits as I need them. Ridiculous. I have a bit of a nesting bug and I would like to get all the actual baby stuff taken care of but I don't feel like I can do that until I get back on top of some of the every day things like folding and putting away clothes and keeping the living room moderately decent. I folded almost everything tonight. There are still towels and sheets in the garage, in the dryer. And this is what I was thinking about:

...S has way more clothes than I do.
...K really needs some new tshirts, but I know if I try to hide these and get rid of them, he will freak out.
...I have more pairs of underwear than I thought I did!
...I should get some actual bleach and do a whites load at least every so often.
...How is it possible to have pit stains this rowdy?
...Well, one basket done. I don't even want to know how many more there are.
...Um, that shirt I just folded that belongs to S is too small for him. That's embarassing.
...Why haven't I folded all the clothes in so long?
...I bet most people don't have piles of clothes this big to take care of.
... It's not actually hard to fold clothes.
...Seriously, why have I waited this long to fold all the clothes?
...The thing that sucks about laundry is it is actually never really done.
...Unless you and everyone else strip down before starting the last load and just hang out naked.
...That would be kind of weird.
...How long can I get away with taking my pants off when I'm hot when I get home?
...I'm going to live in a house full of boys in just a few short months.
...Laundry is going to be super smelly in a few years.
...How young is too young to teach S how to fold clothes?
...Done! It only took an hour! 

No comments: