Friday, September 14, 2012

the one where i make baked pumpkin pie oatmeal

When I was nursing S, I had to give up dairy because it turned him into a spit-up fountain. With that in mind, I'm stocking up my freezer slowly but surely with meals for us when this baby is born. I'm trying to do some non-dairy stuff because I can always add it back in if Baby C-2 tolerates it just fine! Spoiler alert, I really hope he does because that was such a pain in the ass. I heart cheese.

So, this week I tried a recipe that I was hoping really hard would turn out delicious so I could promptly make a crap-ton more and divy it up into individual containers for the freezer. And it totally did! I actually had everything on hand, so I used milk, but when I make it for the freezer, I'll use either soy or almond milk. I think both are delicious so I'm glad for the excuse!

Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal from Budget Bytes.

Ingredients:
1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups dry old-fashioned oats

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking powder until smooth. Whisk in the milk.

Mix the dry oats into the bowl.

Coat an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray or oil. Pour in the pumpkin oats mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove the foil and bake another 15 min.

Can be served hot right out of the oven, or refrigerated and served cold. I served up a portion in a bowl and poured cold milk on top and it was delicious. It keeps in the fridge for about a week. I popped a bowl of it in the microwave to heat it up and then added cold milk. So seriously good! 

It's almost like a loose custard with oats in it. I happened to have quick oats on hand, so that's what I used, but when I need more I'll try it with the old-fashioned oats. I think the texture will be a bit different but not the taste.

No comments: