Sunday, September 9, 2012

the one where i make shepard's pie

This is not a super exciting recipe, but it is easy and cheap and filling and both my guys ate it with me. So it's a winner!

Earlier this week I made baked potato soup. It was alright. I've made it before when it was super delicious but it just didn't hit the spot this time. I wanted to use the rest of it up in something to not waste it, so I decided to make shepard's pie. I got a pound of ground meat and a small bag of frozen veggies to add to what I already had on hand and whipped it right up.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground meat of your choice.
2 bags of frozen veggies of your choice (or if you just have a bunch of veggies on hand, use those!)
2-4 cups of mashed potatoes
shredded cheese

Directions:
Brown and crumble the meat and season as you go. I used onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. That's my go to seasoning set, but you can use whatever you think will taste good. I thought I had an onion, and I was going to chop that and cook it with the meat, but alas, I didn't have one tonight.

When the meat is cooked through, drain if necessary. Then add all the frozen veggies right to the skillet and stir through until everything is hot.

Put the meat and veggie mixture in a 9x13 pan.

Top with mashed potatoes.
(For tonight, I used the potato soup mixed with about two cups of instant mashed potatoes)

Top that with shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 for about 20 min, until it's all heated through and the cheese is melted.

Serve!

No comments: