Saturday, September 8, 2012

the one where i list some great stuff i read this week

I read about a kajillion blogs and articles a week because I can't help it. I have some sort of compulsion leading me to subscribe to tons of stuff on Google Reader and then do my best to clear it out at least by the weekend. I'm going to start sharing some of my favorites so maybe others can enjoy them as well! Here they are in no particular order:

Smooth Me Out, Soften Me Up. from Nish Happens
I identified a lot with this entry and feel like I could be friends with this woman. Or maybe I am a slightly different version of this woman. It's nice to see someone else have courage to just be themselves.

Losing My Sh*t at Disneyland by Elizabeth Esther
I judge people a lot, even when I don't mean to or think I've gotten past that. I think we all do. I think we should all take a step back and not worry about others so much.

God and Our Political Platforms by Rachel Held Evans
I watched a decent amount of each convention and I ultimately agreed with the speeches more from one convention, but I loved this little article about God not being a flag pin we can stick on anything. I think everyone needs to vote because it's important, but I also don't think God is a Republican or a Democrat. He's bigger than that. So, vote and then pray for whoever is elected because it's a big job. And let's honor God with our lives rather than thinking voting is going to do it for us.

From MomHeart.org Entertaining Angels by Stacy Buck
I actually edited this for Stacy. When I edit, I read through once just to get the gist of the piece. Then I go back through and correct any grammatical errors I see. Then I go through a third time and polish it all up. I teared up through each reading. If we each spent one day a month or so asking everyone we met, "What is your greatest need?" and then doing our best to meet it, I can't even picture what the results would be. It shouldn't take a hurricane for us to think about what we can do for others.

Has the new Baby Flipped Your House Upside Down? by Time Warp Wife
Obviously this is timely for me since I'm expecting to have my house flipped upside-down in about 14 weeks. The other day I got really freaked out about this and had to just tell myself to stop and table it until it was actually here because I have no idea what it's actually going to be like and there's no sense in getting myself worked up over it right now. But I loved that this article emphasized there is a time for everything, to embrace and to refrain from embracing. So, I will do my best. And I will put my first focus on making sure my two babies and my husband know they are loved from here to the moon and back and get to the cleaning when I can. It'll fall into place.

Free But Not Cheap by Ask Moxie
This is definitely worth the read if you are a mom, and especially if you are a mom of toddlers or younger. She talks about looking at the role of motherhood being a relationship rather than a job and what that means and I have to tell you, weight was lifted off my shoulders. I will be writing an entire blog post about this very soon because I had a very nice gentleman compliment me on S and say he wished his sons and grandsons were still that age as I was fighting back tears because S was wreaking havoc in Starbucks. I'm not kidding. Or exaggerating. When I focus on all the jobs of motherhood I have, the diapers and the potty training and the trying to get a variety of foods in his little tummy and the five thousand messes every day, I just cry. I feel more than inadequate. But when I focus on the hugs and kisses and watching his personality unfold and talking back and forth and the way he runs up and kisses my legs and runs off again, motherhood is easily the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'm thankful I'm not the only one who feels this way and that someone else articulated something that has bubbled up inside of me.

What have you read that you think I should also read? Let me know what you think if you check any of these ones out!

No comments: