Saturday, May 7, 2011

you and me, were meant to be

I was adding a bunch of contacts to my phone and I opened up K's accidentally. It turns out that today, we have officially been together for five years! I am proud of us. A lot has happened during the past five years and really truly we are better than ever today. I doubt I'll remember the date that we decided to be an exclusive couple for much longer. Well, I didn't even really remember today, I happened to see it.

We had been dating for a little over a month before we had our DTR. Everyone has to do that at some point or another. Define the relationship. He started the conversation because he wanted to make sure we were on the same page. The awesome thing is he mentioned he was going to keep his options open, just in case. My heart fell a little, but I just said I would do the same thing. And he asked why and I told him, well, we need to be doing the same thing. One of us can't be committed to our relationship and the other one be looking around to see if there's a better option out there. For the most part, since that conversation we've really been at the same level of commitment.

Not to say we haven't had rough patches or there weren't times I thought we weren't going to make it. We also have work ahead of us because you have to put time in to maintain ANY relationship, but I think especially a marriage. I'm proud of us for getting to here. I'm excited for us that we have the whole future ahead of us. It wasn't love at first sight and I really had no idea I'd marry K when we first started dating. But as time goes on, I see how well suited we are for each other and I'm thankful every day for such a wonderful husband.

Yay for five years! And for over a year and a half of marriage in there!

No comments: