Wednesday, February 4, 2009

movie review monday (the late edition): taken

Sorry for the delay... I think by the end of this week I will actually be adjusted to my new schedule and therefore my apartment will look a lot nicer and my blog will be updated on a regular basis. At least in theory. Actually on both of those. :)

On with the movie review!

I have not seen any of the Oscar nominated films for Best Picture (this may be the first year that I literally have yet to see any of them), but by golly, I've seen Taken twice.

It stars Liam Neeson and Maggie Grace and beyond that, all you need to know is that you are going to be in for an edge of your seat experience. I don't want to give too much information away because when I saw it, I knew very very little and thoroughly enjoyed myself just because of that. The daughter is seventeen years old and goes overseas with a friend. The dad is a former CIA operative and has retired and moved to be closer to his daughter. He and her mother divorced long ago because of his job taking him away from the family for such long periods of time. He is trying to make up for lost time in his relationship with his daughter by being available for her and whether or not she realizes this is kind of an unknown.

While overseas and talking on the phone with her dad, the daughter's friend gets taken by a group of men in all black. The dad talks her through what she needs to do, knowing she is about to be taken as well. And here is what sold me on the film. One of the kidnappers picks up her phone and breathes into it. The dad says "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you." There is a pause, then "Good luck" then the phone goes silent.

This is not a movie for young kids. It deals with a very real and awful situation that I believe is actually also happening in the United States. There is violence and language although there is no nudity or sex. Lots of implied situations but I was grateful for them only being implied. The best way to sum up the feel of the movie is to say it's Alias on steroids. If Jack Bristow were to go rogue, and on top of him going rogue Sydney was in danger, this would be the movie version.

There are fights and chases and guns and explosions and glass and so many moments that you hold your breath waiting to see what happens that part of you just can't believe when the movie is over. I absolutely loved it. My parents both really liked it too, however my mom has now banned me from traveling overseas.

Taken. See it. Love it. Tell me what you thought.

Rating: 5 of 5 stars. Seriously. Can't wait until I can own it.

No comments: