Tuesday, December 26, 2006

a random reflection about the 26th of december

When my family was moving to Japan, my mom bought all these books about culture and the country and living overseas and whatever. Stuff like that can be just as harmful as it can be helpful. When you stock up on facts about a place you've never been, you often feel prepared until you're actually there. Anyway, one of the books said that unmarried Japanese women are viewed as Christmas cakes. Not much good after the 25th.

I thought this was hilarious and sad, even as a fourteen year old when I first read it. I reminded my mom of it when I turned 26 and said, well, at least I have a boyfriend. She didn't think it was funny. But if I really based my self-worth on having a ring on my finger, I'm sure I would already be married.

And also, one of the best parts about Christmas is the ridiculous amount of leftover food. First of all, you get to eat all kinds of good food that everyone just shows up with starting a week or two before Christmas. Then, everyone keeps bringing it until New Year's because there just really was that much food prepared. I ate some sugar cookies as part of my breakfast today. I love leftovers in general, but holiday ones are The Best.

Oh, and I wrote an entry on Saturday but for some reason only the title was actually published. I was going to try to remember what I wrote and fix it, but I got a comment on the blank one, so we'll see. I'll revisit my Christmas Eve Eve thoughts at a later time. :)

1 comment:

mikewurtz said...

Lunch on the 26th, Turkey sandwich.
Lunch today, Turkey sandwich.

Tryptophan fields of deliciousness, here I come.

(TECHNICALLY, Tryptophan doesn't directly make you drowsy. A more-likely hypothesis is that the ingestion of large quantities of food, such as at a Thanksgiving feast, means that large quantities of both carbohydrates and branched-chain amino acids are consumed. Like carbohydrates, branched-chain amino acids require insulin to be transduced through the myocyte membranes, which, after a large meal, creates a competition among the amino acids and glucose for insulin, while simultaneously creating tryptophan's reduced competition with other amino acids for the Large Neutral Amino Acid Transporter protein for transduction across the blood-brain barrier. The result is a greater availability of tryptophan, via the Large Neutral Amino Acid Transporter, for conversion into serotonin by the raphe nuclei, which is then available for conversion into melatonin by the pineal gland. Drowsiness is the result.)

Boooo.