Friday, June 25, 2010

seven quick takes

1. Never have I known the pleasure of a hot shower like I do now, as a mother of a small child. For whatever reason, spit up doesn't really gross me out, I can handle being peed on (it's usually my fault for bad diaper placement anyway), I get extra sweaty lugging the baby carrier around, and generally get pretty gross by the end of the day. But it's really only after getting S fed and asleep that I have the opportunity to take a shower. And sometimes there's just too many other loose ends to tie up for the day for me to feel alright about taking a shower. But when I do get in there and let the hot water just pound on my head for a few minutes, it's heavenly. Eventually I'll get back to shaving my legs, doing a round of body wash, and exfoliating my face all in one shower. For now it's maybe one of those in addition to the standard shampoo and soap. I start thinking I can hear S crying and even if someone else is on the listen-out for that, it takes away some of the fun of enjoying that shower. But seriously. Best shower of my life was the first one after delivering him and now it's something that brings me a lot more joy than it used to.

2. I want to lose ten more pounds before my doctor appointment at the end of next month. I know that if I really bust my ass, I can do it. The problem I guess is how to do that exactly. Every time I nurse S, I get hungry. I have been trying to figure out when I can work out a little bit but get stuck because I can come up with a work out time and come up with a shower time, but there is a lot of stuff that happens inbetween and I don't know if I'm okay with that. I might be... But I don't know. I need to figure this out though because after that ten pounds is another 90 to go.

3. I hope K and I have all boys. If we have a girl, I won't be disappointed, but I'm just saying. I never thought I'd think anything like that. And I may change my mind depending on how many bugs I fish out of S's pockets when he gets older and I'm doing laundry.

4. My sister and her family are moving and it makes me really sad. I haven't mentioned it much because I don't really want to talk about it exactly. I don't completely understand their reasoning but I hope it goes well for them and they are happier. But I will miss her terribly. We are finally, actually, real friends. Not awful to each other, not tolerating each other, but genuine friends. And now she's leaving.

5. Which brings me to my next brief thought... I really need some more friends in San Antonio. I need more friends who are moms and can just relate to the spit up and baby clothes debates and formula vs breast feeding and wondering if you can possible continue taking this many pictures forever and does it make you not as great of a mom if you can't. I need more women to talk to about family and sleep deprivation. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

6. I don't have the attention span I used to. I thought it would slowly come back, but so far not so much. It drives K crazy. I can't sit and watch a movie with him. I either need a break in the middle of it to do something else, or I have to just be doing something else pretty much the whole time the movie is on. Weird.

7. I miss my truck a little bit because it's the vehicle I'd driven the longest, but I have to say having a car rocks. The stroller is in the trunk which is so handy, and it's nice that I can offer to give people rides again. Except the driver's seat doesn't adjust so someone with short legs would need to sit directly behind me. Or maybe we can move the baby's seat over...

No comments: