Thursday, March 5, 2009

spring break!

Next week is my Spring Break and it is also the babies' Spring Break. My sister and I somehow struck a deal involving my mom where I will go to my parent's house every day and she will bring the my niece and nephew and the three of us will have grand adventures Monday through Friday. Am I insane? Yes. Do I anticipate being exhausted at the end of each day? Yes. Am I fantastically excited? Yes I am.

I adore those two and I am excited to take a gazillion pictures and have even more stories at the end of the week. I have a list of things we can do and hopefully pieces of it are just new enough to them that they will start to call me Super Auntie. Okay, maybe not really, but I will say that when I get my doctorate some day, I will be like Dr. Jill Biden and have no qualms about preferring people call me Dr. Maybe they will call me Dr. Auntie.

I have baked cupcakes with them a couple of times and really, once was enough to know this is not going to be included on my list of possible activities. It is enough to suddenly be in charge of a 5 year old and 4 year old for a week, it is another to willingly subject yourself to the sugar highs of a 5 and 4 year old. My niece asked me on Saturday if we could make cupcakes. This is how the rest of the conversation went:

"No, I don't think we can make cupcakes. We'll see, but what if we make pizza from scratch one day?"

"Scratch pizza? What's that?"

"Pizza FROM scratch. It means you start with nothing and make something! We'll make the dough and then put the sauce and cheese on top. What do you think?"

"Auntie, how do you know how to do that?"

"Because I have a list of magic recipes."

Immediately turning to my sister...

"Mommy! Auntie said we can make scratch pizza because she has MAGIC POWERS!"

It truly will be a fantastic week. :)

No comments: