Friday, October 10, 2008

oh for heaven's sake

I will discuss a multitude of things with people. I don't really like talking about politics at work unless I feel like it can be a mature discussion with no lasting hard feelings, but I'll breach that every so often. I don't expect everyone to agree with me and as long as you have a well-formed opinion that is backed by facts and reason, I will respect it even if it is the exact opposite of my opinion.

With that said, for the sake of lollipops and everything else delightful, FACT CHECK. Do not take the word of someone telling you it is so, take a few moments and Google the quote or the event or the person. Do not make a decision about voting based on on eleven year old's rant. Do not believe something just because it appears in print. Look at different sources, watch different newscasts, read a variety of news sites.

Or at the very least, don't spout off random crap that I know is not true and expect me to respect your stance on the issue we're discussing.

It is incredibly easy to see the voting record of every member of the Senate. Factcheck.org recaps the debates and lists the mistakes each candidates make and it doesn't seem like they are taking anybody's side either. Snoopes.com is a good starting point for heaven's sake!

No comments: