Wednesday, June 27, 2012

goodnight my angel, time to close your eyes

Today, as I was leaving my regular baby-sitting gig, S started to throw a fit. He didn't get a nap today and had just found a basketball that I had to take away from him so we could get out the door. I picked him up and told him we had to go and just held him as he struggled against me and cried. The mom of the kids I watched said, "You are the most patient mother I have ever seen."

That is one of my most favorite compliments. I try really hard. And there are days when I don't have the most patience because instead of just one fit, like today, there are ten.

I really try to treat S like a whole person and not some little toy version of me and my husband. He was born with a distinct personality and I try to respect that because that's the thing I want most from others. I'm still in charge. But it doesn't do much to yell at someone who is already crying that they need to stop crying. Sometimes he needs to cry. But he can cry while we're still getting ready to go.

And at the end of the day when I kiss his velvet cheeks as many times as he'll let me and he blows kisses to me as I walk out of his room, he's adorable enough that my patience and my love gets restocked and ready for the next day.

No comments: